Thursday, July 25, 2013

My obstacles and solution

Most of people would say money is their first obstacle for going to college. However, my story is a bit different. I got financial aid to cover my school fee. I live with my parent, so I do not have to pay for housing. I pick up cans and water bottle to earn money for my daily uses. I try to not let money worries me in my path to school. 
I did not have problem with money, but I had problem with language. After a year I came to United States, I started my first semester at Chabot Community College. I asked my uncle for opinion on taking classes because he used to be a student in here. As he recommended, I took my first class is General Chemistry. I could not speak clearly and  my pronounce is bad, so I always had to say a same sentence for several times. My classmates did not talk to me, even after I tried making a conversation with them. It made me think they did not want to talk to me because they could not understand me. The teacher talked so fast, so I could not understand him. Even taking note was difficult for me. After my first week at college, I was depressed and stressed. I did not know what to do to solve this problem. I scared I could not even pass this class not mention to get A. I this is how I am, I always think far. 
I tried to talk more and make friend, so they could help me.
After the language obstacle is family obstacle. Since my second semester, my mother have started working, so she could not take care my sister. she is seven at that time. I have to stay at home with my sister after her school time and take care of the house. I have less time to go to school. and my class choices are limited. I had to pick classes in the morning. As you know, there were not a lot of choices for class time nowadays. And the sit is also limited. therefore, I could not take the classes I want. As a result, I drop out of school for a semester.
I searched programs which can help me to register early, so I could add classes fit my time. I took online classes so I can study at home. It was so much better because of the helps of the support program from our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment